Chef Christopher Holland’s Healthy Parsnip Puree
4 large parsnips
2 1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup of water
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 T Salt
3 – 4 sprigs of Thyme
3 – 4 peppercorns
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 vanilla bean (seeds scraped out)
2 cloves Garlic
1 shallot halved
2 T unsalted butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
Pre-Heat oven to 350º
1. Peel and chop parsnips into 2 inch pieces.
2. Make bouquet garni with Thyme, Peppercorns, Garlic, and Shallot.
3. Bring 2 cups of chicken stock plus 1 cup water to boil. Add bouquet garni.
4. Add parsnips and boil until a knife easily passes through about 25 min.
5. Strain parsnips and remove bouquet garni.
6. Place parsnips back in pot and put in oven for 15 minutes.
7. In small saucepan add butter, vanilla seeds, nutmeg, and 1/4 cup heavy cream and 1/4 cup chicken stock. Reduce by half, about 15 min on low heat.
8. Place cooked parsnips and infused cream mixture in food processor. Puree until smooth.
9. If necessary add chicken stock until desired consistency is reached.
Chef Christopher Holland’s Pan-Roasted Red Snapper
1 T unsalted butter
1 T Canola Oil
1 6 oz portion Red Snapper or other firm flesh white fish
2 T AP flour
Squeeze of fresh lemon
pinch lemon zest
1. In non-stick pan add 1 T canola oil and 1 T butter.
2. Heat pan on high until butter stops bubbling.
3. Add fish and cook 2-3 minutes.
4. Flip fish and put pan in oven for 5-7 minutes.
5. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon and a pinch of lemon zest using micro-plane grater.
1. Brown Butter – Heat 4 T unsalted butter in pan on low. Milk solids in butter will turn brown. When you begin to smell a nutty aroma, remove from heat
2. Fried Capers – Heat pan on medium high heat. Add 2 T canola oil to hot pan and add 1 T capers Fry to crisp. Allow to drain on paper towel
3. Spinach – In hot pan add 3 cups of spinach and 1/4 cup of chicken stock or water. Cover and allow to simmer for 2 min. When spinach is wilted add 1/2 T butter, pinch of nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.